2015 IFEC SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
Please read these facts carefully before submitting your application.
- A combination of your work experience and current and past education should indicate that you are preparing for a career in writing or public relations within the foodservice or food and beverage industry. This is a key requirement.
Examples of careers IFEC wishes to encourage through its scholarships:
- • Journalist specializing in foodservice or food and beverage
• Food photographer or food stylist working with food, beverage or foodservice accounts
• Consultant or freelance writer providing marketing communications services for food, beverage or foodservice clients
- • Communications specialist promoting and/or writing about nutrition as it relates to foodservice, food or beverage
- Careers that do not fit this niche include:
- Examples of studies and work experiences considered applicable:
• Food and Foodservice studies: Culinary arts; hotel, restaurant and institutional management; hospitality management, dietetics, nutrition, food science and technology, and related
• Communication studies: Journalism, public relations, mass communication, English, broadcast journalism, marketing, photography, graphic arts, and related
• Work experience: Restaurants and other foodservice outlets; print, broadcast and electronic media; public relations, advertising, and marketing communications
- If you have any question about applicable areas, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting an application.
- You must be a full-time college student enrolled as of March 15, 2015, working toward an associate's, bachelor's or master's degree. Enrollment must be in an accredited post-secondary educational institution in the U.S. Expected graduation date must be no earlier than January 1, 2016.
- You should have a strong academic record, good character references and demonstrate financial need.
Students attending high school as of March 15, 2015 are not eligible.
- Only completed and typed application forms will be considered.
- An official transcript of your current or last year of study must be included with your application or sent directly from the institution. If you email your application you can send an unofficial transcript but the official one must also be received by our office.
- Two letters of recommendation from a supervisor, teacher, advisor or other foodservice or communications professional familiar with your skills must be included with your application.
- Essay questions may be answered on a separate page attached to your application. Include the essay questions on the page.
- Applications must be mailed and postmarked by March 15, 2015 OR emailed by midnight PST March 15, 2015.
The number and amounts may vary. In recent years, four to six awards in amounts of $500 to $4,000 have been granted. A committee made up of members of the International Foodservice Editorial Council (IFEC) reviews the applications and selects the winners. Scholarship recipients are notified by mid-July.
IFEC is a non-profit membership association. Its 250 members include writers and editors, public relations and marketing communications professionals, educators and consultants working in and with the foodservice media. Through its scholarship program, IFEC strives to increase awareness and understanding of career opportunities available in the field of foodservice communications and to encourage the entry of qualified individuals into the field.
P.O. Box 491, Hyde Park, NY 12538